The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Monday, February 09, 2009

No Time for Class




No Time for Class:
I must be doing something wrong. This time I lost a new knife student after only two classes. Now this is the same guy who emailed me and said "I want you to know I really really want to learn this." Yeh well horse-pucky. My dad used to say "people in Hell want ice water."
What some people don’t understand is that wanting is not enough. You have to do more than want. I want a bright red Ferrari Enzo but it ain’t gonna happen unless I give some guy about $200,000. Wanting and having require working. Did I offend you I know that is a terribly nauseating thought. Ahh…what’d you say? Oh I see, you just don’t have time for it.
But seriously, I really want to be a lethal master of defense, a knifer extraordinaire. Really? Prove it to me. Come train with me and get dumped on the floor, get your knuckles rapped, or your wrist bent. I don’t have all the answers but I can guarantee that watching U-tube isn’t going to make you into a knife-fighter. Ah hell it doesn’t matter to me if no one wants to learn this stuff. Someday it’ll be illegal to defend yourself anyway. Maybe sooner than you think. Too bad you didn’t have some time.
Image by Salvadore dali

No comments:

Followers