The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Knife Fit for the Gods



Finally a review of the Erebus from Spartan Blades.
I am partial to tanto inspired blades and this one is a big hit with me. In fact it constantly resides in the gear bag that I haul to the dojo on Monday nights for knife defense class. I called Spartan Blades and asked them if they had a "second" that I could use and abuse. They had one and their only request was that I never sell it because it was flawed. Had I not been told where to look I would not have found the "flaw." Most companies would have sold this knife as first quality without a moment’s hesitation. Such is the standard of excellence that Mark Carey and Curtis Iovito have set for their products. To learn more about these men check out their website. http://spartanbladesusa.com/cart/index.php

The Erebus is fairly straight bladed and has the typical, more American than Japanese, armor piercing tip. That’s OK we were raised on Cold Steel’s tanto design and that is what the average American expects in a tanto. My Erebus has the sand colored coating that I find attractive and which has resisted scuffing during the many thrusts I have made into the cardboard boxes I use for practice.
The lines are very dynamic, fairly bursting with latent energy. This is a knife that is ready and waiting to be used. My first round of tests showed that having a straight edge did not hinder its cutting ability. The Erebus cut through my standard pool noodles with cool aplomb, no fuss, no problem. Thrusts? What do you think? One look at the lines told me that it would point and track right where I wanted it to. Penetration with the Erebus is excellent. While I gravitate toward fighting knives with blades in the 9-10 inch length I realize this is not a convenient size to carry into combat. The Erebus has more than enough blade to reach any internal organ, even through heavier clothing.

The low profile handle is well designed, ergonomic, and sized to comfortably fit all but the largest hands. The guys at Spartan Blades did their research and it paid off. The point of balance falls right at the single finger groove making the knife lively in the hand. The kydex sheath is extremely well built and securely holds the knife in place, even without using the velcro strap. The only suggestion I have is to offer the sheath with the web belt loop and a smaller rubber loop, the type I find preferable for IWB use. The standard set-up is suitable for field and military use but not concealed civilian carry, and yes some of us do carry knives that large. So…..The Erebus is a Great knife, and Mark and Curtis are great people to deal with! Based on my experience I highly recommend any of the Spartan Blades products. That is exactly why we are carrying them on our website.

No comments:

Followers