The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Knowing Smile



The Knowing Smile:

You’ve seen it, the knowing smile. It is the Mona Lisa smirk that people in- the-know use when they are being insufferably condescending. The line usually goes something like, "Oh you teach knife defense, how nice." Then the dialogue devolves into their extensive real life experiences, and unless you’ve been there you cannot possibly know what to do or how you will react. Ok, fine. Now that the posturing is over, pray tell me great master what it is that I do not understand, and how do I make up for my terminal deficiencies?

"It is all about awareness and observation," they will sagely tell you. Sure that is where it all starts but what should I do once the awareness and observation stage has passed and the bad guy has pulled a knife? Well…. they will roll off their honeyed tongue, if you had been aware, you would not have gone to that club, pub, restaurant, ATM, etc on such and such a day or phase of the moon. What were you possible thinking? Ok so I admit I was stupid and I ask your forgiveness, but the guy has pulled a knife, what should I do? Well…..and it goes on like this for the entire conversation, article, or website. By the time you have listened to them drone on and on you will have been stabbed multiple times, bled out, and stiffened in rigor mortise. Getting back to my own little artificial training world.

Nope I have never killed anyone with a knife, nor have I been killed in said manner, therefore I do not know how I would react to being killed. So if you train with me you are definitely taking your chances. If you don’t train with anyone will your chances improve? I think that is what the knowing, smiling people are saying. If I got it right all you need is to be aware and observant and take their classes on observation and integrating mind, body and spirit. Great, I am sure that integrating stuff will stop a speeding bullet or a flashing knife. You might have guessed that I just read another article on what professes to be about the "realities" of knife fighting, but it sure seems more like a guide to meditation/mindfulness. Their business ad offers to teach you about "living fully alive," (as opposed to living fully dead?) and "martial kinematics." You know, all I was hoping to find was one useful self-defense technique or concept. What was I thinking? They got me, I should have been more observant.

Keep smiling : )

No comments:

Followers