The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Friday, January 23, 2009

Matt Lamey Knives






I guess you know that I love knives, big ones, small ones. I love daggers and karambits, rencong and barongs. There is almost no style of knife that I do not like, with the exception of fantasy knives. When push comes to shove one style of knife trips my trigger better than any other. That is a simple Bowie. I posted photos earlier of Stag and Steel bowies. Even more elegant than those knives are the Bowies, fighters, and camp knives by Matt Lamey of Jasper, Alabama. My first Lamey knife was purchased used from a forumite. The simple elegance of that knife led me to Google™ Lamey Knives.

Not since purchasing the Rader knife from Bill Malloy at MastersmithS, which I illustrated a few weeks back, have I been more excited about a custom knife.

These photos are Matt’s and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new fighter from Matt. Forged from a piece of round stock it has a 10 inch blade with a fully sharpened clip and bright flaming hamon. The minimalist copper guard sets off a beautiful dark burl wood handle. You can bet there will be a follow-up blog once this beauty is in my hands.

Matt's prices are very reasonable considering his tremendous talent. He's a great guy to work with and I plan on ordering another knife from him, soon. Problem is what style??

No comments:

Followers