The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Friday, May 08, 2009

Knife Class

Monday Nights Knife Class:
Since I started this class a few people have already come and gone. Learning to use a knife is not glamorous. It is not a spiritual experience, although you can be a spiritual person and still learn this art. The men who are training with me now have good reason to do so and they have approached it with the right attitude. They understand that it is better to never enter into any confrontation, but when it is absolutely necessary, then it would be best to not jump straight to a firearm. The knife gives them one more tool in their skills set.

The knife art I teach at the White Shadow Dojo is completely eclectic. It is the result of personal training I received from good people like Bob Cook Sensei and Hanshi Bruce Juchnik. My art also comes from studying rapier manuals of the 16th century and small sword manuals from the 18th century, DVDs from Pete Kautz and James Keating. Some of the moves are derived from the fencing instruction I received locally from my good friend Maestro Steve Wilson. There are all sorts of ingredients that went into the stew I teach. The one thing they all have in common is that if they are too contrived or too complicated they get eliminated. If it takes more than three steps to achieve a strike then there is something that needs to be removed.

I try to teach each individual differently, based on their stature, experience, and the knife they intend to carry. Over a period of time I am sure they will select several different EDC knives therefore certain common techniques are taught to everyone. For example, how to enter into range, how to transition safely from inside to outside, and of course the classical angles of slashing and thrusting.

I am very happy with this small band of brothers. We are all learning together. Them, how to use a knife, and myself, how to refine and better teach what I already know. You cannot ask for much more than that. And lest I forget, thanks Gwynne for the many precious hours you invested training with me.

No comments:

Followers