The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Monday, May 18, 2009

Humility

The Japanese sword is the perfection of the sword-makers art, at least according to one forum "expert." In response to the suggestion that maybe, just maybe, there were other swords of merit and other legitimate martial arts that were not Asian he continued on to say, "I’ve been in the martial arts for 25 years, but I suppose you mall ninjas know it all."
This was his abrasive and condescending slam of a fellow member of the forum. This expert might be shocked to know that some of the Asian martial arts are not much more than 25 years old. That is no reason to knock them if they are truly martial. The more important point I would like to make is that because a person has been doing an art for 25 years is no guarantee that he is any good at it.
Here is my take on this squabble. A man who has spent 25 years learning an Asian martial art and has not learned humility has learned nothing! It would have been better if he had spent those 25 years learning how to fight with a tire iron or a beer bottle. That way his ignorance would not reflect on his teachers and his art. This martial artist needs a lesson in Keigo.
(keigo, literally "respectful language"). The more advanced a student is, the more he should naturally refrain from insulting or degrading a fellow student, even those of lesser rank or skill. Unfortunately this example is not an uncommon attitude. Whether it grows out of a belt/ranking/status system, or out of simple arrogance is hard to determine. It doesn’t really matter because it is unwarranted and completely counter to the basic principals of the Tao or Zen based Asian martial arts.

Concerning lessons in humility, I am reminded of the sign said to hang over the sword polisher’s shop visited by Miyamoto Musashi. Supposedly the sign read, "I polish men’s Souls." The cranky shop owner refused to accept Musashi’s sword for rework until Musashi learned the critical difference between a samurai’s duty and gratuitous killing. Even though Musashi was an undefeated swordsman it seems he still had much to learn. This lesson, coming from a local craftsman, must have seriously stung Musashi's pride. I can honestly say I have played with knives for over 50 years and I think I am finally beginning to understand them. As I told my good friend and knifemaker Gary Bradburn, I wish I had started seriously training in knife fighting 30 years ago. I might have become good at it! Anyone know of a job opening for a humble old knife-fighter?

No comments:

Followers