The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Sunday, October 26, 2014

PITA

What a PITA just to get back into my blog I had to reset the password and that took forever to figure out. Our lives have become a miasma of passwords, user names, PIN numbers, codes, and the only people who can navigate it all are the hackers.

What I really wanted to talk about was knives not aggravations. I recently bought a new Bagwell Style bowie on ebay. It was made by a man named Fitzen. You can see the strong similarity to a Hells Belle in the guard and blade shape. The knife on the bottom is my largest Matt Lamey bowie with a 12 inch blade.
That knife is a real cleaver but the new one is much faster in the hand due to the narrow 11 3/4 blade and counter-balance of the antler knob. Is exhibits a vivid Damascus with strong contrasts of metals. The guard is designed for blade trapping, (and yes to the arm-chair and forum experts) it really does work. I am amazed as usual by the numbers of people who regurgitate knowledge without having ever stepped out onto the dojo floor or sparred with blades.
The  butt of the antler is crowned with this detailed silver skeleton head. Quite the nasty looking fellow! Nice workmanship. The sheath is a simple one made with a belt stud and is of elephant hide. I am anxious to get down to my dojo this week and "play" with this new knife which, based on the antler, I have named "Gnarly."

I bought a matching blade and plan to fit it out as a "Dogbone style" Bowie. It might be a while until I get to that project since my work has gotten more demanding. That is also why this blog has been less active in the past few months. Thanks for hanging out and checking back. I am preparing to drive 1600 miles to Houston for work because I do not trust what the government is saying about Ebola and planes are great incubators of germs, not to mention having to suffer the harassment of the TSA goons. Hope you like the Bowie.

No comments:

Followers