The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Sunday, August 19, 2012

This n That

I have a couple things on my mind. One is the huge increase in the number of counterfeit knives on Ebay. Where are they coming from? What do you think? They're all coming from China. I am sick of chinese forgeries and copycat products. Now a seller in canada is carrying them so when it says imported it doesn't mean imported from Canada, it is from CHINA and then canada. My wife and I are boycotting everthing Chinese made that we can. Sometimes it just means doing without. Several of the Chinese knives were stunning copies and I would have liked to buy, but still its unethical. I continue to contact Ebay but it seems the knives continue to proliferate. They are counterfeiting Kiku Matsuda, Walter Brend, Strider, Mark Terrell, Richard Derespina, and Spartan Blades heavily. Spartan Blades is run by two American Veterans and their products are all american made, from all american materials. Great guys to buy from, so don't support the chinese rip-off artists, BUY AMERICAN.

NEXT:
http://times247.com/articles/social-security-admin-requests-massive-amounts-of-ammo

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2012/08/13/dhs-purchase-750-million-rounds-ammo-167361/

Have you seen the disturbing news about the hundreds of millions of rounds of ammo that the Dept of Homeland Security and other branches of govt are buying? Yes hundreds of millions of rounds of hollow point handgun ammo and ammo for what they call "Assault Rifles," (thats the term they use if we own them.) Did you wonder why ammo prices are going up and supply is getting more limited again? Today this unhappy news was followed up by a small news story about the Social Security Administration buying 147,000 rounds of hollow point ammo in one order. More to follow? The question begs asking, WHY does the SSA need a half a million rounds of ammo? Is there something coming we are not being prepared for?
Now keep in mind that it is against the Geneva Convention to use hollow point ammo against foreign enemies. Let me say that again, it is against the Geneva Convention to use hollow point ammo against foreign enemies. Chew on that for a while and see how well you digest it. This news story hit my stomach like a cup of 8 hour old coffee.
Strategy in Japanese Swordsmanship
Finally: On a more pleasant note, I just got back from a trip to Barnes and Noble. I bought a copy of "Strategy in Japanese Swordsmanship" by Nicklaus Suino, and a new translation of "the Book of Five Rings" by David K Groff. This is probably the 8th translation I have of Musashi's famous treatise on strategy.  Why my interest in these two books. Well my previous post tells you that I have been training in Iaido and Kenjutsu for many years. But there is another reason or two. Musashi's book, like Sun Tszu's, is timeless in its myriad applications of strategy that go beyond merely swinging a sword. This copy is hardbound and very nicely illustrated for $25.

Next, several years ago Suino sensei wrote a book on Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu swordsmanship that laid out the techniques using pictographs or stick people drawings. I did not find that one too appealing. This book though is ilustrated with actual photos of the techniques in 2-3 steps,  This is adequate for you to get a feel for the techniques but certainly far from making you into a master swordsman. The text though carries enough weight to make it educational and worth the $25 price tag. (Idiot, Amazon has the same book for $9.98.) OK so anyway, why books on swordsmanship, not in my style, and when my focus has been on knife-fighting for so many years?

Here is why. Most forums, experts, and instructors will tell you that learning any form of swordsmanship is a waste of time when it comes to street self-defense. I am on the opposite side of that debate. Many sword techniques, good ones anyway, can directly translate into knife techniques and even some empty hand techniques. Problem is..... not many teachers care to investigate anything outside of their style or comfort zone. This concept of using sword techniques is part of the text in my coming book. Inside it I will explain why this is true and how to apply it. Still a ways from being finished, but the text is done, leaving the photos of the techniques to be taken. Someday I'll get it finished, hopfully not posthumously.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Interesting, Dave. I wrote an article about the proliferation of counterfeit knives being displayed on YouTube recently. That sort of thing really pisses me off.

Re: the department of Homeland Security buying up 400k+ rounds of hollowpoint ammo. Incredible! Really makes you think.

Anyhow, thanks for the thoughts to mull over.

knife-fighter said...

Another note or two about the ammo purchases. They say this ammo is so they can practice per their requirements. How much pracice with handguns do the people at NOAA or Social Sceurity need? Better yet why do they need to be armed? Second. No one that I know of practices with expensive hollow point ammo when they can use cheaper ammo. But of course you and I are footing the bill so why not buy the best right? I don't buy their excuse and really wonder why they felt a need to redact the documents one they were discovered on line. If I were to buy ammo in that volume (even proportionately) I would be designated a terrorist.

Unknown said...

I have very little sympathy for guys like Richard Derespina (I don't know any other knife makers, so I presume they are upstanding guys) when it comes to crying about counterfeiting of products. When you take a deposit and three years later you won't even acknowledge your contract, karma will bite you in the butt BIG time.

Followers