The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Watson Wharncliff


I know I said my next blog would be about more "affordable" production fighting knives. BUT I could not resist buying this Beautiful wharncliff fighter by my good friend Mr. Channing Watson. It appeared on the USN forum for sale and I resisted about 5 minutes before telling him I'd take it. This is the fourth purchase I have made with Channing, the last one being a very cool cleaver with an 8 inch blade. His latest knives have knock-out hamon and mirror polishes. This one is an awesome knife with 1/4 inch by 8 inch blade that balances right at the choil/ricasso region. Overall it is about a foot long. The black micarta scales are nicely sculpted and thinned down to make the grip nice and comfortable.
A thin minimalist kydex sheath is setup for IWB carry, edge facing to the rear. This knife is a sure cutter with a well honed edge and good flat bevels leading almost up to the spine. The size and proportions are perfect!  Any longer blade would have required a broader blade and I am not sure the proportions would have been as aesthetically pleasing. Sometimes you can scale a knife up, or down, and it works out. Other times the design quickly loses something in the process. For a great fighter by a relatively new maker contact Mr. Watson at his website. At a price that I promise you will get you more than your money's worth. Tell him the "Culdee" sent you.
http://www.havocworks.com

No comments:

Followers