The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Friday, September 03, 2010

TAK Training Knives


This is just a quick review of the TAK training knives. I will post a full one after the Bowie Knife seminar I am attending Sept 18-19, 2010. When I was at the dojo one night I dumped my bag of training knives out on the floor to see what ones I should take to the upcoming seminar. The closest thing I had to a Bowie was two rubber versions of the Cold Steel Blackbear, a subhilt knife. Looking on line I did find one bowie-esque trainer in aluminum that was actually listed as a kitchen knife. It still wasn’t what I wanted. But there in the pile of trainers was a little one duplicating my TOPS Scalpel. It was made by TAK Training Knives. A quick check of their website showed that their selection of training knife styles had greatly expanded. My initial idea of buying the aluminum knife was scrapped and now I had to choose between three big Bowies and one smaller one.

I bought two that resemble the Bagwell/Ontario Hells Belle and two of the Ridge Bowies designed by Dwight McLemore. Both styles came with leather wrapped handles. I called and visited with John Stanley on Friday and placed my order. The knives arrived Tuesday. John’s enthusiasm for what he does, and the products he provides, was absolutely contagious. I warn you that if you call you will not be able to hang up before buying at least one trainer. Buy two and find a friend to train with. The Bowies are very impressive, made out of a thick polycarbonate material that is tough, slightly forgiving, and collect light. They are nicely radiused on all edges and the points are sufficiently blunted. You must always wear eye protection and limit your thrusts to avoid the head. The leather wrap gives a nice tactile gripping surface and will cushion the impact of blade on blade better than 550 polycord will. My only question is whether the grips will remain tight after serious use. Stay posted and I’ll let you know after the September seminar. http://www.takknife.com/index.htm

No comments:

Followers