The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Sunday, March 21, 2010

GRAYMAN KNIVES

OK I am going to try to get back to knives and self defense and away from the toxic wasteland of Washington DC. The politicians will do what ever they want and there’s no getting around it.

I bought a knife a few days ago from “Grayman Knives.” I'd heard about “Mike’s” work from several sources and I was curious to see some of his knives. I had also heard they were coarsely ground and sort of rough and tumble looking. My sources did say his knives were well priced and nearly indestructible. The model I ordered is the Kordofan 8. A bolo style knife, it has a nicely recurved 8 inch blade. It arrived in very short time fitted in a desert tan molle sheath. The sheath will work well on my go-bag (where I expect it will become a permanent fixture) and the knife is certainly the type you’d want along on a trek or combat mission. At the same time I ordered one of Mike’s very cool “Death to Al Qaeda” T- shirts.

To Quote Mike: :I realized that I wanted my knives to be able to function well for prying chores, and to be tough enough for chopping, batoning etc., as well as being able to readily take and hold a keen edge. After experimenting with several types of high end stainless steels, I realized that I prefer high carbon steels for their toughness, shock resistance, and overall performance characteristics."

The knife I received is nicely ground with an apple seed edge and without any obvious grind marks. A smooth black coating covers the ¼ inch thick 1095 carbon steel full tang blade. A non-serrated thumb ramp indexes one’s hand just right. On my knife I ordered the green micarta scales. They are about 3/16 inch thick and attached with six of the small countersunk screws that are commonly found on today’s knives. All of the edges of the scales are properly radiused and the handle design includes a single index finger groove to help lock in your grip. The Kordofan 8 balances nicely, about one finger’s width ahead of the handle scales. Typical of a bolo or a kukri its weight is tip-forward making it an excellent chopper and the finger groove provides blade control and knife retention. I was expecting a nasty looking knife and I got one that is pleasantly well made, nicely finished and superbly designed. All for under $300, that folks is not a bad deal! Grayman offers electric engraving on the tang up to 13 characters for free. Its not US Mint grade engraving but what do you expect for free on a combat knife? I went with his “Death to Al Qaeda” slogan. That will date the knife for generations to come and this knife will still be functional generations from now. That is what Grayman Knives is all about, weapons grade knives at an affordable price. Knives that you can depend on to get you out of tough situations. I am in line right now for one of Mike’s Monkton Church Keys and I’m seriously looking at a Darfur Defender. Check out his website. There is some very interesting reading and lots of neat knives to look over. Thanks Mike and Sue for the knife and T-shirt. http://www.graymanknives.com/

No comments:

Followers