The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Trading Destinies:


Corpulent, petulant, puffy cheeked and pig-eyed. You’ve seen them wandering the shopping malls grazing in small herds, shuffling along duck-footed with pants down around their crotches. The males of the species converse in snorts and grunts of a half language half nightmare of what language used to be. After the tragedy of 9-11 I made a personal vow to recognize the sacredness of all life including these replicants of humanity. I cannot do it! I admit that I am too weak and too small spirited. Let me explain.
Headed back to the motel one day after work I saw the furry body of a gray squirrel lying dead in the road. It caused me to question what divine purpose was served by the death of this small creature. Like myself, it was simply searching for food along this remote stretch of Texas highway. A few hundred yards later I swung into a local “Whataburger” and ordered a chicken sandwich. Across from me sat one of these Mall creatures. He was a fine specimen too, with pudgy knees and fat, pink, hairless legs protruding from his baggy shorts. Seated there with his un-tucked shirt tails hanging down, belly fat-roll protruding out, I could only imagine how proud some parent must be. He was chatting up a couple of young girls, entertaining them with his blinding intellect, while simultaneously stuffing three french fries into his mouth and talking very loudly on his cell phone.

Then I thought back to the finely shaped, compact body of the dead squirrel, graceful and neatly formed. Comparing the Mall rodent seated across from me, and the squirrel lying flattened in the road, I couldn’t help but wonder, God forgive me, but if there is to be a New World Order, wouldn’t that world be a better place if a change of destinies could somehow be arranged?

Coming up next is a review of one of the best knife fighting books I have read in a long time and a review of a new training knife.

No comments:

Followers