The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Sunday, July 03, 2016

OSS commemorative

OK I am going to try to get away from politics for a bit! They are more corrosive than soaking in a vat of sulfuric acid. Like acid you cannot touch them without coming away scarred. So lets talk about my second most powerful addiction, knives, fighting knives in particular.


I just bought this unusual F-S knife from a good friend John Gibson. Yes you have seen his name on here before. It is obviously a post war knife, but who made it? It has a typical British machine ground blade, indicating Sheffield make. But in over 45 years of collecting I have never seen one before today. I like the way the letters O.S.S. are etched in a diagonal stripe, very racy looking. The handle is very distinctive too. The typical third pattern rings are cut into sections by longitudinal cuts. This is another characteristic which is unique to this knife. I suspect the gripping power is much better than on a standard third pattern  knife.

It is accompanied by a traditional sheath which shows some age. I presume they are a set but the sheath could be older. I am looking forward to receiving it and adding it to our collection and book. Speaking of the book I may have to divide it into two volumes. Some people have suggested I start a group funding site to raise money for the first printing. I am having poor luck finding a publisher in this economy. Had I started one at a dollar a hit when I first launched my website I would have almost $100,000 to pay for printing. That's the difference between a businessman and an artist.
 

No comments:

Followers