The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Friday, March 18, 2011

Forumites - Idiots?

Sometimes I just cringe when I hear people say really opinionated and stupid things. I’ve been known to do it myself and I have no excuse. How about this for a response to why you should not use a weapon to defend yourself or others? It came from a firearms forum.

“Just for your information, if you try to use a knife against someone, and you have not been extensively trained in how to use it, you’re probably going to get hurt really bad.”

I guess he is saying if you do not know how to box you should not use your fists either? Or maybe he means if the other guy has a knife or gun, and you are untrained, you’re better off using your bare fists than a knife or a gun? I am really glad he shared this invaluable “information” with us. Once again we see the idiotic assumption that some karate dude is going to take away your knife and stick in places where the sun doesn’t shine. Really! Wow, now I am rethinking whether to leave my EDC folder at home so that doesn’t happen to me. (note heavy sarcasm) This is some seriously bad juju! Here I always thought that a man with a weapon was more than the equal of a man unarmed. This is probably because I didn’t realize how many counter-knife experts are out there walking the streets. Idiots, we’re surrounded by idiots! All they need is a modem and a mouse to become experts.

Ask any martial arts instructor when the last time was they got hurt. They will probably tell you it was when they were working with a new guy who did something totally unexpected. I can tell a skilled fighter by the way he moves, and be reasonably sure where and how he will move. It is the untrained guy who will hit you with a cut or thrust from out of nowhere. Why? Because he didn’t know any better! Nobody taught him that he couldn’t do what he just did. So take the above bit of forum advice/information with a huge grain of salt. Trust me, carrying a weapon and not needing it, is better than needing it and not having it. Being trained is better than not, most of the time. Training can also become indoctrination, which is not good. We’ll talk about that difference at another time.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Dave I find myself spending a lot more time these days reading blogs rather than forums. The reason being is that people who write blogs have at least some shred of accountability if they are going to ever build an audience.

Sure, there are well respected forum members, but a blog is sort of like a "greatest hits" album of a forum poster. I'm not sure if I'm really making much sense here, but I agree that the forums have a much lower signal to noise ratio.

Followers