The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Friday, October 08, 2010

Foxxy Lady

My new Fox Cutlery Extreme Kukri arrived. It was like Christmas, but then I am always like a kid at Christmas when a package comes. Lately though I have had several disappointments. The box seemed too small and too light. I was hesitant to open it for fear this might be one more in the string of disappointments. So I puttered around until I had no more excuses and I opened the box. Inside was the Fox box. It’s amazing how a smaller box can feel heavy while the bigger box feels deceptively light. Opening the Fox box I found the Kukri tucked neatly inside in its Cordura™ sheath. My first impression was, hmmm….Cordura, not my material of choice but I knew that was what it came with. Being objective I noted that it is a very well made sheath, set up for a low riding profile, presumably designed to fit below body armor. There are two adjustable leg straps to keep it from swinging around as you walk or run. So now you know all about the boxes and the sheath. What about the knife?


Hell Yeh this knife is great! This Extreme Kukri is one beautiful piece of steel. Fox has done a terrific job of creating a fighting kukri that any Ghurka would be proud to carry. The bronze tint coated, nine inch blade, is 0.23 inches thick. The complex grind lines are perfectly symmetrical. Look out Cold Steel because this is the most attractive modern Kukri I have ever seen, retaining all of the classic lines of an original while using modern materials and processes. The handle material has the right amount of give without being squishy soft, it is ergonomically shaped and fits my hand nicely. Someone with really big hands might find it a little on the small side. Full tang construction guarantees you won’t have to worry about the blade going flying while chopping, like some of the cheaper Indian versions whose blades are glued into the handles. A broad flat grind to the forward half of the blade lightens it, making it somewhat less tip heavy than your typical Kukri. This makes the pointy end of the blade livelier, even if the chopping force may be slightly reduced. I think it is a good trade-off myself.

Next to a Bowie I think the Kukri is one of the more fearsome fighting knives. The Extreme Kukri’s protruding pommel has an opening which would permit attachment of a lanyard, or the pommel could be used for butt-strikes. Overall length is just over fourteen inches. I would love to see one with an 11-12 inch blade. No doubt this knife will perform any camp chores with aplomb but it really is a fighting knife at heart. Retail price is $175.00 and well worth it. Now I am awaiting the arrival of my Fox XL Parang. Christmas is coming again, soon I hope! Check out all of their fine cutlery products at Fox USA: http://www.foxknivesusa.com/en/home.html

No comments:

Followers