The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Storm Clouds



Here We Go:


The wheels of justice grind slowly but inexorably. At least one court in Texas has now declared AO (assisted opening) knives illegal, classifying them as switchblades. Maybe I am too simple minded, but I have said before that no weapon should be illegal to own. Commit an illegal act with it and you should be put in jail. Injure another person without just cause and you should be punished. These should be the laws of the land, but they are not. Oh sure, superficially they are. But all laws today are up for "broad interpretation." This simply means they are not laws if you have the right lawyer or the necessary amount of political, financial, or celebrity clout. Some people will say that it has always been this way. They are probably right, but the disparity between the rights of the privileged, and the rest of us, have never been so "in our face" before.
I am going to keep this blog very short so that you can spend your time reading the coming one about pre-meditated self-defense. This blog just makes a good, albeit discouraging intro. Read these blogs and see if you think I’m over the edge, or whether we should be concerned. I face the next few years with an inexplicable dread and a lingering trepidation that I cannot put my finger on. It’s the same feeling I get in my gut just before a violent thunderstorm breaks or bad news arrives. Chalk it up to animal instinct, or my social maladjustment, but folks, there is a storm brewing in America and the dark clouds are already gathering.

No comments:

Followers