The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Friday, September 26, 2008

A Chicken in Every Pot



Michael Maniord, Knifemaker:

Can you imagine a man who wants to build inexpensive knives? No I couldn’t either until I bought a knife from Michael Maniord. I bought one of Michael’s Karambit off Ebay and waited for it to arrive. A few days led into a week and I got an email saying, "I am not happy with the knife, if you can wait a week I’ll do another one." Sure I could wait another week and another email came saying if I wanted the first knife he would sell it to me for basically the cost of the materials. If I did not want it that was OK too. Well I have been in that same situation and screwed up a project before, come on who hasn’t?
I was out of town when the package arrived. It didn’t take me long to rip it open. I am like a kid at Christmas with every new knife. Well I looked at the "bad one" first. It was a bit rough and the grind lines had some waviness. Then I looked at the second one and it was much better. This was certainly a knife I would not be ashamed to carry into a tough spot and use hard, knowing it could take the heat. I’m sure the other one is just as tough just not as refined. The overall design is very good. The proportions and aesthetics are as good as anyone else. The handle sculpting made me think of a skeletal finger with bony joints but it fits my hand just fine. There are coarse grind marks on the edge bevels but the edge is very sharp. That is a plus since I am tired of makers whose expensive custom knives are delivered dull. This knife will definitely rip and tear.
Included were three sheaths, a kydex sheath for each knife, plus a leather one. Now how many custom knifemakers do you know who would do that? I emailed back and forth with Michael and got a feel for his moral fiber, his philosophy on life and his work ethic. It was very refreshing! He said he hated the pressure that goes along with selling high dollar knives and he worries that his work will not meet the expectations of the big price tag knife buyers. His principal concern is making a good, solid, using knife. Secondly he wants them priced where the average person feels they can afford one. (At his prices most people I know could afford two.) Most of all he said he wants the recognition of building that good knife at a good price point. With a touch of humor Michael said he wanted to be the "Walmart™" of knife makers. In this day of $1500-4000 knives he has established his own blue-collar niche. Hey I am not going to argue.
I have watched over the past year as Michael’s quality and eye for design have improved. What I saw prompted me to buy that first knife. What I have heard will prompt me to buy again. I suggest that that you check his website and spend some money wisely. If you want a no-frills quality knife then buy a knife from Michael and go out and use the heck out of it. I bet that you will get more use out of it than all of the safe-queens that you spent thousands of dollars on. It’ll make him happy and keep him busy building more of those affordable knives.

No comments:

Followers