The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Friday, February 28, 2014

Hiding in Plain Sight

Here in NYS we have had our Second Amendment rights brutalized by the thugs in Albany and downstate. This has been no secret and if you are a gun owner, and don’t know what is going on here, you need to wake up. Fast! I have attended peaceful protest rallies in Albany three times now. Our calls for the restoration of our rights were loud and clear, but there was no blood spilled or fires set. We are not living in the Ukraine, we are Americans, or are we? Last night I printed off photos from the protests to show fellow gun owners at a local meeting. As I looked over them I noticed one thing that was missing in all of the images. What was missing were my people, my flesh and blood, my life-long friends, my extended family, none of them were there. I was in a sea of strangers who at that moment were more like my own people than the ones I grew up with. Where were those people whom I moved back to NYS to be near in times of crisis? Where were the familiar faces? They were home being quiescent, trying to remain invisible. I have heard of people standing up for their rights, demanding their rights, fighting for their rights and even dying for them. I never heard of someone hiding for their rights! I’m sure when the final showdown comes they will be right by my side linked arm in arm. And that’s the biggest lie I have told in years. Despite my wife’s protestations I moved back to NYS to be with people whom I trusted to stand by me through thick and thin. I thought it was the right thing to do, family, blood and all of that. Now when she tells me what an idiot I am I reluctantly have to agree with her. After all she is the only one who would stand beside me on the mall in Albany and fight for what is right.

No comments:

Followers