The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Life & Death

Yesterday was my brother's funeral. He died early Monday morning, age 58, very unexpectedly. Death is often, for some reason, an unexpected event. We all know its coming from the day we are born but we manage to put the idea away in the back of our mind until...... He and I had become closer in the past few years and I would often go visit and
we'd discuss the same sort of things I talk about on here, political issues and about guns, knives, swords, etc. I inherited from him Dad's Vietnam and Korean service medals. With each successive death in the family I have inherited more of what once belonged to my dad. Not exactly the way I want it to happen. Now I am the last one in our small family and the things I have accumulated will be passed down to my daughter when it is my time.
I told my wife how can I start a revolution without my brother. LOL. We were co-conspirators the like of which this frivolous government worries about, and wastes time over, looking for monsters under their beds. We were from an Army family and raised to cherish freedom, honor America, and fight for liberty and the ideals this nation was founded on. Sometimes I wonder if the very idea of a "Volunteer" military didn't blur the lines between patriotism and mercenary pursuits. we used to discuss the changes we were seeing sweeping across this nation and the inevitable rise of the State over the rights of the individual. Well I guess he'll have to align himself now with the armies of a different Lord. I will miss him and all of those who knew him will too. He lived a laid-back life with his wife, children, two dogs and a coop full of chickens. Not the sort of immortal warrior you would expect if you were looking for a freedom fighter. No capes, no flying though the air, or fanfare, just a brother who died too soon. We are our brother's keeper. I'll miss you Kim. Kim on the left, me on the right.

2 comments:

Succisa Virescit said...

Beautiful and heartfelt words David

knife-fighter said...

thanks I am still adjusting to the loss.

Followers