The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Fistfull of Power

Ever try coming up with a benign weapon that you can carry without incuring felony charges? Have you ever heard of a "yawara" or a  "kubotan?" A yawara is nothing more than a stick five to six inches long that may be made from any tough material. It is used to strike, punch, rake,  or apply pressure to sensitive points on the body. I  have trained many students to use one. Our training kubotan were simple pieces of broom handle cut to length. Any hard wood will do but I wanted to buy some for my family to carry when they are working or travelling and I wanted something a little special.
Sooo. I did what any red-blooded American would do and started searching the internet. (Thank you Al Gore for inventing it so I could find things.) Here is a photo from a blogsite TiSurvival that offers all sorts of neat kubotan, small containers, and chopsticks made from titanium. Sure I could have bought some off ebay made from titanium if I wanted to get them from China. Remember.....I am boycotting chinese goods. Besides who wants to pay the shipping, wait however long, and hope they don't get lost or  confiscated by some over exuberant DHS agent.

These are really sweet tools for defense and have an artistic flair. The maker is Esteban and here is where to check out his products. http://tisurvival.com/products/kubatons/ You won't find any nicer guy to deal with and he had these to my door super quick. The two knurled sections add substantially to the gripping surface and one end is drilled for a thong. His prices are not cheap but they are high quality and in line with what a lot of people are charging. Contact Esteban for some really nice products at fair prices and excellent service.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Very interesting Dave! I have seen Esteban's work a couple of times and it always intrigues me. Maybe one day I will pull the trigger myself. Hope all is well.

Dan

knife-fighter said...

I know it might seem like a titanium kubotan is over-kill. A person can buy an aluminum kubotan on ebay for probably $8.00 but sometimes its nice to support artisans and have something just a little classier to train or defend with. One of these costs about the same as a cheap folder and will provide a lot of unfailing protection options.

Followers