The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Saturday, August 06, 2011

Watson Push Dagger

Here is a neat new knife from Channing Watson! I looked at it on my favorite forum, looked at it several more times, and finally I could not resist anymore. It is made from 1/4 in thick steel and the handles are G-10 on one side and micarta on the other. The four inch blade is chisel ground and then treated with an acid etch ala Kiku Matsuda who pioneered this finish. I already have a plan for this knife. It is going to be mounted on the shoulder strap of my bug-out-bag like from the movie "Full Metal Jacket." My second "BOB" is outfitted with a "Tops Knives California Cobra." Based on its profile and thickness I suspect that this blade would penetrate soft body armor. Unfortunately I don't have anyway to prove out my theory. I'd like to find an old cast off bit of chest armor to do some penetration tests with this and a few other knives but no luck finding any so far. Push ddaggers became popular items during the Gold Rush days and were carried by nefarious gamblers, thugs and riverboatmen. This genre of knives is still useful for close-range self defense, especially for people of weaker grip or small stature. The natural gripping shape of the handle makes its use instinctive and solid. The addition of a fingerhole makes this dagger unique. Channing has produced some very dramatic knives with aggressive looks and solid ergonomics. His designs are fresh and innovative. Looking at the shape and finish I can almost hear the fluttering of Batman's wings in the background. The photos are from Mr. Watson. Great work Channing!
For those of you who follow my political rants: Congratulations mr Sorros. Your Obedient servant, the Big O delivered what you wanted. I heard just last week that you had divested yourself of US Treasury Bonds. Nice move spooky dude.









5 comments:

Dan said...

Dave, what a cool little knife. I have been following Channing's work since your first post on him, and I have been very impressed. This little knife is almost enough to take my mind off the colossal %*()$)_)% up that is our current state of economic affairs.

knife-fighter said...

Yes he is doing some very neat stuff and his delivery times is very fast, compared to some custom makers I have dealt with. His prices are affordable and a good buy considering the quality of his work and the unique designs.

Jeff Snyder said...

Wow that is one seriously cool knife and with a 1/4" thickness should be quite robust for its intended use. I can honestly say that this is the first push dagger I've ever been tempted to own.

The intersting thing is that you plan on making it part of your bug out bag instead of EDC. I guess push daggers offer a less flexible defensive response because, well, they're daggers? I imagine it would conceal well though.

BTW, I would hope that in upstate NYS you will have little reason to be bugging out. Sure, if they let the fracking dogs loose in your enirons, you might have an environmental holocaust, but that is not a bug out event but a plan now to move soon event. I mean when all of us down here near the Big Bad Apple think of bugging out oh, say, for example, because Indian Point has a meltdown, we're all planning on coming your way! It sure will be interesting! Plan accordingly!

Yeah, Obie is a good little puppet, and the end game is soon upon us. I hope you're investing some time in learning how to grow your own food. We sure are. This book is a gem, and includes some good info on keeping ducks and/or chickens.
http://www.amazon.com/Resilient-Gardener-Production-Self-Reliance-Uncertain/dp/160358031X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312812844&sr=1-1

Cheers!

knife-fighter said...

Jeff points well taken. I'll leave a light on for you but be careful it might be at the end of an AR-15. So be sure to identify and verify : )

Jeff Snyder said...

Lolz, Dave. You will have to give out the friend or foe password to your loyal blog readers!

I was reading one survivalist blog a couple of weeks ago where a woman mentioned that one of her criteria for picking her farmland was that it be two days driving distance from any large city. She figured that when the Big Collapse came, and gasoline was scarce, that would give her a pretty good safety margin and protect her from the zombie hoards! (My words, not hers.) I don't know where you are exactly up there in upstate, but I suspect you've probably got the requisite 2 days distance from NYC!

BTW, she and her husband ended up buying land in Brazil. No, thanks! I'll take my chances here, thank you.

Followers