The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Thursday, June 02, 2011

BOB knives?

This post is about the knives in, or hanging on, my BOB (Bug Out Bag). The bag itself is an Eberlestock™ Gunslinger II. These packs rank among the finest on the market. If you’re looking for a great back-pack check out their website. http://www.eberlestock.com/
So what sort of cutlery do I pack? You can rest assured that there are several folders of various quality and size, but nothing costing hundreds of dollars. One smaller bag mollied internally holds a MilTac folder, tactical pen, and a Leatherman tool. Originally I bought a Cold Steel Machete for my BOB but I had forgotten how light weight a machete is. That is nice when you’re looking at pack weight, but sucks when you’re trying to chop firewood, make tent stakes, or split kindling.

So in place of the machete, on the left-hand side of the pack, I have attached an indestructible BK&T-9 combat bowie. The bottom of its sheath is tucked into a pocket intended for a water bottle while the upper part of the sheath is fixed in place by 550 cord. In the front pocket of the BK&T sheath is a Chinese folder from Schrade. Its cheap, reasonably reliable and sharp as a razor. For an all purpose knife I included a modern kiridashi made by ECOS in the top part of the pack.

There is a KaBar TDI that I mounted on the front of my Tactical Tailor chest rig. This way if for any reason I have to dump my entire pack I still have a small utility/self-defense knife with me.
I have also added a small kogatana by Gary Bradburn to my pack. Wicked little stabber. I'll review them next week.

4 comments:

Dan said...

Dave, I have heard a lot about Becker knives but I don't have a lot of experience w/ the brand. I've done a little research and the Combat bowie looks like a great knife with a great price. The junglas is a very nice knife but I am sure the Combat bowie will get the job done.

Personally, I like the Izula II for a small BOB knife. Of course, the Izula costs almost as much as the combat bowie. I would think the combat bowie and Becker Necker would be a nice combination.

knife-fighter said...

Hey Day: I like the look of the Essee Junglas and your review of it was compelling. I had to pay for a new custom bowie or I would have bought one. It looks like a direct competitor to the BK&T.

knife-fighter said...

can't figure out how to edit my own comment, mis-spelled Dan, damn.

Dan said...

Haha, quite alright Dave. Yes the Junglas is difficult to resist. I think the custom bowie is a worthy distraction. ;)

Followers