The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Friday, May 13, 2011

Hawkbill Ripper

Update: The knife has arrived and it is a super little self-defense knife. I have not worked with it yet but it handles very well. I take back what I said about a six inch blade version. I think five inches would be optimum. I'll keep you posted on how it works and cuts. Envision comma cuts with this wicked thing. Nasty!
Coming to my house real soon! This is a smallish knife but the design intrigues me. My wife said "What knife doesn't intrigue you?" Fair enough question I suppose. ANYWAY, its made by a guy named Channing Watson, also an intriguing name (like from an old detective novel). Like many of the people I have bought from I never met Mr. Watson in person. He is a member of the USN Forums, a great place to visit and spend all of your money.

This hawkbill design is sure to be an awesome ripper. Only testing will tell how well it slices and thrusts. I'd like to have one in about a 6 inch blade. The Bowies I had for sale are sold but there will be more custom knives for sale in the near future as I weed out the herd. They will be sold at reasonable prices and not some crazy marked-up prices. So take a look at Channings very neat knife and soon I will post a review of how it works out.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Very cool Dave!! Lookin forward to the review.

Jeff Snyder said...

There's an old saying among gun nuts that goes, "Beware the man that has only one gun."
We probably have to amend that a bit for you: "Beware the man that has 1,000 knives"!

I was struck by your assertion that this knife would be an awesome defense knife. I am a newbie regarding knives, but I never would have thought that this particular "ripper" blade shape made it useful for that. Seems like it would "dig in" and "hang up" in flesh or clothes. I look forward to your review, and hope it sheds some illumination on this.

knife-fighter said...

Hi Jeff I will work on testing it this weekend. A blade this style cuts going in and makes a bigger hole coming back out. It also has a hollow grind on the back side that allows the user to place the side of his off hand and apply cutting pressure to force the blade through muscle and connective tissue. If you watch the movie "The Hunted" you will see this type of move. Thanks to all of you who take the time to comment

Followers