The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Friday, April 16, 2010

Like Riding Bicycles

I wrote this about a year ago but I never posted it.

The other night at sword class one of my students performed his Iai (sword) kata while I critically observed. He is preparing to test at his karate school for san-Dan (3rd degree blackbelt). As part of that testing he is going to demonstrate his proficiency with the katana. He has been practicing hard and he wanted to be sure he was ready. I was impressed with his improvement over the last few months. His confidence was evident in his focus and precision. His cuts were now straight and more powerful.

When He finished I told him how pleased I was with his progress. “Now what?” He asked me. I replied, “You continue to practice.” Although he didn’t like it he already knew what my answer would be. The martial arts are not like riding a bike. If you stop practicing them for even one week you lose a month’s progress. Stop for a month and you lose 6 month’s work. Stop for six months and you will probably never go back to training. Martial arts training is a lot like practicing your faith, once you give it up there is little hope of recovering it. Trust me on this one.

Once he made San-dan his life got complicated by other things and he stopped coming to class. So I never posted this. As far as I know he has quit practicing Iaido, or maybe he's teaching it now. I guess some people master things quicker and tire of them quicker than I do. Speaking of that, forgive me Koicihi Sensei, after 14 years I am still trying to get Muko o no Katana, the first Yagyu sword kata, right. The photo is from the Bugei Trading Company website. Its the tsuba on my latest purchase from them. Go to their website and check out the "Peace Sword." I am not repsonsible for any money you spend there. http://www.bugei.com/

No comments:

Followers