The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Same Old Same Old

It’s the same old stupid argument, over and over on websites and forums. My mistake is allowing myself to even respond to these threads. You know the drill, it goes something like this. “What if you’re walking down the street and you’re attacked by a knife wielding nut job who appears out of nowhere. What do you do?” (I mean how many times can people fantasize over this same scenario?) If I were a follower of Freud I’d say there was some latent sexual problem here folks. But honestly, why do these armchair commandos keep playing this mind game over and over? Do they sit there watching Tommy Lee Jones and Benicio del Torro whacking away at each other in “The Hunted,” while salivating and fingering their latest flipper speed assisted folder?

The rules of these mind games are always the same (1) you are carrying a custom folder by some trendy maker and, (2) the attack starts at less than the magic Tueller range of twenty one feet. The challenge is whether you can open said folder and defend yourself. At this point everyone dog-piles on and says the attack could have been totally averted through awareness. Excuse me, but if you walk past a doorway and someone launches themselves at you it was not necessarily an awareness problem. Not everyone in the real world lives in condition red 24 hours a day. So let’s move on to the second consideration.

Like some Mario brothers game, the next level of discussion (and test of your skill) is whether you can access and deploy your $650 custom folder in time. My response is always the same, if you are really that concerned about self-defense with a knife you need to dump the folder and buy a fixed blade knife. By the way, A fixed blade knife does not have to be "Rambo" big or unwieldy. Without fail, now the dog-pile howls, oh my god carrying a fixed blade knife is illegal in my state or town. Whatever! You ought to accept that attacking someone with a knife is illegal even if you are defending yourself. And if not technically illegal under the law, it will be seen as socially/morally illegal/unforgivable and you are going to find yourself fighting to establish your innocence in a court of law. In other words, guilty until proven innocent.

If I choose to carry a knife for self-defense then I carry with it the full awareness of its lethality and the knowledge of the consequences of my using it. Now that we’ve got that sorted out, I want that knife to be the most effective weapon I can carry accessibly concealed, legal or not. If I should kill someone with a knife while defending myself, whether it is a fixed or folder, open or concealed, single or double edged is probably not going to make a lot of difference to the jury. If I carry a knife for self-defense and I cannot get the damned thing open and locked (when I need it most) well that is going to make a big difference to me. If I don’t get it open then life gets very tenuous and I may not go to jail but straight to the morgue. My stance is that all of the time spent training how to open a folding knife could be more gainfully used in training how to actually use a knife.

So, is there someway we can get past these inane arguments on the knife forums and talk about something more meaningful, like maybe knife techniques, effective types of knives, or methods of carry? Or, will every forum newby have his own epiphany and start the same thread all over again?

“Hey, what if you’re walking……….

No comments:

Followers