The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Sunday, August 23, 2009

One Giant Step, Hisshou:


The CRKT Hisshou:

Just when I had decided not to buy any knives for awhile a package showed up at the door. It was a pre-ordered Hisshou from CRKT. I had truly forgotten it was coming, although my wife didn’t believe that. Now that its here I am wondering, "Why did I order this?"
It is a very nicely made knife and a capable combat weapon. The only problem is its really big! Sure the dimensions were given in the advertisement and I should have paid more attention. Would I send it back? No of course not. It is a superb fighting knife. I am just warning you to pay attention to what it says in the Ad. The sweeping twelve inch blade is wonderfully ground and polished. The blade has a deep ¼" tori sori. The only thing missing is a traditional hibaki (blade collar). The tsuka is fitted with a finely detailed wave decorated fuchi, covered in black ray skin, and then cord wrapped. Despite the foot long blade the Hisshou’s overall balance is quite nice.

I seldom like commercial sheaths, and as you can imagine, I don’t like this sheath a lot. It exhibits excellent quality and it will work well strapped onto your rucksack. What I would like to see is an optional, kydex lined, leather sheath that could be slipped into your waistband. This sheath is approximately twice as wide as the blade! We have gotten accustomed to these monstrosities, which bear no resemblance to a graceful traditional tanto sheath. Like the Hissatsu sheath this one is intended to be worn with the blade edge up and the mouth of the sheath is designed so that the knife can be aligned and inserted one handed. The Hisshou also came with a high quality fitted wooden box.
This is the Japanese counterpart to Cold Steel’s Natchez Bowie. My final take is that I really like the knife. It could have been smaller, maybe a nine inch blade, somewhere between this size and the Hissatsu. Maybe James Williams will introduce one in that size later. As always, great design work from James and top workmanship from CRKT. So if you want a big intimidating cutter, this is it.

No comments:

Followers