The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Friday, July 27, 2007

Dull knives and Dim-Witted People

Dull Knives and Dim-witted People:




“I don’t sharpen them because too many people pick them up at shows and bleed all over my knives.” Have you ever heard such a dumb response? That’s the answer I got from the maker of a custom Bowie knife I recently bought. So lets get this right, I paid $225 for a really nice, but dull knife. Folks a dull knife is nothing more than an expensive and ineffective prybar. I’ve heard this sort of thing too many times before. Ebay sellers say, “If you want it really sharp we can do that before we ship it.” Why do you have to make a special request that your knife be delivered sharp? How many times have you heard that, “the back edge could be easily sharpened.” Then sharpen it! You Mr. Knifemaker have the equipment. Don’t expect your customer, with nothing more than the knife sharpener on the back of his electric can opener, to do it.



Let’s go back to one of my earliest premises about buying and using a fighting knife. A knife, of any kind, is designed for only two purposes, to puncture or to cut. If it won't’ cut we’re reduced to one function, stabbing. If I wanted that I’d buy a Fairbairn Sykes or an ice pick and get something that really excels at stabbing, not a partially sharpened Bowie or a dull “Tactical” knife. If it will not do either, then it is not a knife, and if I wanted a prybar I’d go to Home Depot.



Does this knife maker have a valid excuse for not sharpening his knives? In days long past I used to demonstrate Muzzle-loading rifle building at historical events and gun shows. Inevitably some idiot (always a man) would walk up, and without asking, pick up my razor sharp carving tools and run his finger across the edge. Occasionally they would get bitten. Is this a problem? Only in this day and age of frivolous litigation and frivolous men (including judges) who lack common sense or a sense of etiquette would it be a problem. Let me give you another good example. As a member of our Japanese Sister City I was dressed in traditional Japanese clothing (including my sword) waiting to walk in a parade. The head instructor of a local karate club came over to introduce himself to me. He commented on my katana and as a courtesy I handed it to him so he could take a closer look. At this point he twirled it around like a baton and commented, “It has good balance.” I was speechless! It was beyond my comprehension that a teacher of martial arts could be so ignorant of proper etiquette when handling another persons sword. Here was a full-grown man supposedly responsible for teaching children respect and courtesy. Acting this way in Japan would have probably resulted in him being knocked on his fat butt. Had this been a shinken (or live blade) he might have gotten cut. If he had dropped it it could have been badly damaged, which was my real concern.



So, back to the dull knives and dim-wits. Fighting knives should be made and kept as sharp as the steel will permit. If you get cut, you did something stupid! Training knives and swords ought to be dulled for safety. The fact that they are dull is no excuse for treating them indifferently or casually. Training weapons should be treated with the same respect as their sharpened counterparts. In Japan it is a huge breech of courtesy to step over another persons wooden training sword. Twirling their sword would be absolutely unthinkable! Grabbing a knife or sword by the blade is an inconceivable act of disrespect to the weapon and its owner. If you are the owner or a martial arts instructor you ought to be sent back to weapons basics and white belt status. If you think that weapon etiquette is all foolish romantic hogwash maybe you should stick to manipulating your blackberry’s, X-boxes, and I-pods and leave men’s things to men.

No comments:

Followers