The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Merry Christmas

I just finished polishing the Silver service. If I lose my regular job maybe I can get one as a servant with Downton Abby. But, if I am polishing the silver (which we never actually use) then it must be Christmas time. This is one of those rituals that we do year after year so that visiting friends think we keep it polished all year round. NOT. Well I love the look of it myself and admire the craftsmanship.  I was taking photos of another knife and my nickel plated x-dagger was lying here. As I looked to one side the silver caught my eye and I decided to use it for a prop. What do you think? Looks good to me and different from my usual choice of books, maps, etc as a prop.

I wonder how many Brits, facing the coming combat of WW-II, might have taken a moment to take tea, one last civilized act before boarding ships or airplanes to carry the battle to the enemy? The juxtaposition of instruments of war and peace would resonate with their Samurai opponents. In fact they had a term for it, Bun and Bu. I hope you enjoy this photo of a handmade First Pattern Commando knife by Paul MacDonald of Edinburgh, Scotland, and a WW-II X-Dagger by persons unknown.

I wish you a Peaceful and Merry Christmas as we tumble headlong into the holiday season and a new year.

No comments:

Followers