The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Friday, July 09, 2010

Carrying Concealed?

Lest you think I am single focused on knives I decided to post this.

I hate to admit it but there are times when a knife is not the end-all of self defense. For example your attacker is packing a firearm and is standing just out of reach of your best knife technique. Another example is when you are facing multiple attackers. At these times nothing so compliments a fine fighting knife as a fine firearm. Your choice of firearm, as I stated in an earlier posting, must be tailored to your specific needs. What can you carry legally? If you have a concealed carry permit can your weapon of choice be readily concealed? What is your skill level, and familiarity with various weapons? Is it for protection while you are outside your domicile or inside? A shotgun may be the supreme weapon inside your house but too big and attention getting on the streets or flopped on your front car seat.

One of the most important questions is, are you willing to use it if necessary, and do you know the consequences? Do some research and find out the legalities on the use of force for your state or locality. One of the first things I give a new knife student is a copy of the ordinances covering use of force in NYS and the statutes on knives in particular. That way they can never say, “Uh I didn’t know.” If you have a pistol permit odds are you had to take a course on these things during your application process. That’s not true when you walk into a shop or get online and buy a fighting knife.
For years my handgun of choice was a Colt 1911 pistol manufactured in 1918. Recently that pre-eminence has been challenged by a Smith and Wesson 686 Combat Magnum. It’s a big gun, physically, but it tucks in nicely at my waist. The 357 magnum round provides all of the firepower I feel I need and the luxury and economy of shooting low power 38 special rounds. But what made me suddenly switch from a semi-auto to a wheel-gun? In a word, ergonomics. It was love at first holding. This was the first time I ever picked up a handgun and could not lay it down until I convinced myself to put down a deposit. Yeh it was that good. Just like with a fighting knife it either feels right in your hand or it doesn’t. So like as not, if you meet me out and about, the 686 is probably tucked into my waistband. I can legally carry it concealed even when it is illegal to carry my knife.
No that doesn’t make sense but as a Law Enforcement Officer once told me, “It doesn’t have to make sense, it’s the law.” So when I cannot carry a dagger, bowie, or a tactical folder I legally carry my 357 magnum packing over 500 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. Go figure. Oh yeh and for around the house I have my Red Neck Squirrel rifle loaded with frangible ammo.

No comments:

Followers