The White Shadow Dojo is a Martial Arts school run by Gwynne and David in western New York. This blog features information on our book "The Rhythm of One", our class offerings, a calendar of events, an edged weapons forum, articles on knife design, and a community space for the research and dissemination of Martial Arts. "Sometimes irreverant, often opinionated, always brutally honest."

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Beauty & Aesthetics


Beauty and Aesthetics:

When I talk about knives I tend to use the word aesthetics a lot, maybe too much. Usually I am talking about aesthetics in the positive sense because I refuse to buy a knife that is without. As comedian Fred Sanford once said, " Beauty may only be skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone." Unlike human beings, which may be unbeautiful outside and beautiful inside, ugly knives tend to be ugly inside and out.
"All beauties contain, like all possible phenomena, something eternal and something transitory,—something absolute and something particular. Absolute and eternal beauty does not exist, or rather it is only an abstraction skimmed from the common surface of different sorts of beauty. The particular element of each beauty comes from the emotions, and as we each have our own particular emotions, so we have our beauty." - Charles Baudelaire
Since discovering Bill Malloy’s "MastersmithS" website I visit it quite regularly. Of all the high end custom knives one in particular caught my attention. Singularly plain, a slender fighting knife by Michael Rader appealed to my ideal of beauty. This knife seemed to be teasing me, when month after month it remained unsold. Finally when I could not stand it anymore I bought it from Bill. When I asked him why he felt it didn’t sell he said that it lacked "all the bells and whistles" of a newer and fancier Rader knife. That got me to thinking and I went online and looked at some of Michael Rader’s new work. As expected, it is very good, but I did not see anything that I found more appealing than this elegant fighter.

If you are looking for something special in a custom knife, high art or pure fighter, contact Bill. Good knives, Good man!!

www.beautiifulblades.com
403 East 58th Street
NY, NY 10022
ph. 1 877 8knives

No comments:

Followers